DGI Brief - May 25, 2016
- GREECE: The move averts a potential debt burden of up to 250% of Greece’s GDP by 2050, but the country’s debt is still huge and double-digit unemployment could last beyond 2040.
- AFGHANISTAN: Objections to the new extremist leader, Mullah Hibatullah Akhundzada, come from number of splinter factions opposing the selection process as undemocratic (my word), i.e. w/o input from all religious scholars and tribal elders (The Taliban's words).
- UNITED NATIONS: World leaders endorsed 5 responsibilities to improve aid delivery, support refugees, uphold international law, increase financing and prevent migration-generating crises
1. Political leadership to prevent and end conflict
2. Uphold the norms that safeguard humanity
3. Leave no one behind
4. Change people’s lives: from delivering aid to ending need
5. Invest in humanity