DGI Brief - Aug 5, 2016
- IRAN: The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, together with other human rights groups, expressed “serious doubts about the fairness of the trials, respect for due process & other rights of the accused” after 20 people were convicted & executed this week. All were Sunnis from Iran’s Kurdish minority, identified as Kurdish Islamic extremists by the government. Hmm.
- GERMANY: It isn’t the lowest favorability rating this year – in February, only 46% of the respondents were satisfied with Angela Merkel’s leadership performance - but there is a steady decline for the once very popular Chancellor. Refugee policies were the top reason for dissatisfaction. Germany has accepted a million refugees since last year, & 2 of the attacks last month were committed by asylum-seekers.
- ZIMBABWE faces turbulent times as opposition to “dictatorial’ ways of President Mugabe mounts amid growing economic crisis. Most notably, once felt fears of violent crackdown on any government opposition is replaced by anger and frustration at the country’s complex challenges. The main problem, faced by so many nations, is that the opposition doesn’t exactly offer better leadership or solutions.
- UNITED NATIONS: From the number of qualified female candidates for the next Secretary-General, only Argentina’s Foreign Minister (FM) & former Chief of Staff to Ban Ki-moon, Susana Malcorra made the list by jumping from 8th to third place during today’s informal secret Security Council vote. Former PM of Portugal & UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Antonio Guterres, topped the poll for the 2nd time, followed by Serbia’s former FM, Vuk Jermic. Former president of Slovenia & UN Assistant Secretary-General for Political Affairs, Danilo Turk, dropped from 2nd to 4th place.
- #GoodStoryFriday Forced to flee the Congo, Ethiopia, South Sudan & Syria due to war, violence and famine, 10 brave men & women will compete during this Olympic games under the Olympic flag. It is the first ever Olympic refugee team. Learn about their incredible stories: https://interactives.ap.org/2016/refugee-olympians/
#deathpenalty #Kurdish #opposition #rebels #extremism #terrorism #execution #Merkel #AngelaMerkel #leadership #polls #satisfaction #protests #dictatorship #Mugabe #SecurityCouncil #SecretaryGeneral #womeninpolitics #womenleaders #genderequality #female #candidate #Olympics #Olympicgames #Rio2016 #Riogames #refugees #athletes