DGI Brief - Aug 3, 2016
- IRAQ: It’s been 2 years since ISIS attacked Iraq’s northern province of Sinjar, murdering men & boys & capturing thousands of women & girls of the ethnic minority Yazidis to be used as sex slaves for their caliphate fighters. The UN & number of countries around the world acknowledge this terror as genocide of the Yazidi people. The call is for concrete action by world leaders for the release of the women & much more help for Yazidi refugees. Just today, Greek authorities admitted about 400 Yazidis are stranded in Greece, facing discrimination in transit centers & camps. Join the movement, sign the petition, tweet #Remember3August or #StopYazidiGenocide. Thank you.
- NORTH KOREA’s latest attempt to show off its missile technology & war capabilities gathered the usual round of very strong condemnations, and likely (hopefully) a wave of behind-closed-doors diplomacy. Can North Korea attack its neighboring countries – like South Korea or Japan where the US have military bases? If this latest test answers yes? The options here are bleak: declare war, wait for an attack & then war, or negotiate. The peaceful option may seem the hardest, almost impossible & yet it’s the only one.
- NIGERIA: The breakaway group is called Ansaru, its new leader or “Wali” is Abu Musab al-Barnawi. No word yet on what happened to original leader Abubakar Shekau. Boko Haram has been terrorizing Nigeria & neighboring countries for the last 7 years, killing more than 20,000, displacing over 2.2 million & creating a ‘catastrophic humanitarian emergency’.
- The world’s most populous Muslim country, INDONESIA does not consider homosexuality illegal, but that is not to say LGBT community is living w/o discrimination or stigma. The new review, brought by an Islamic group Family Love Alliance doesn’t want the “deviant sexual orientation” displayed. The court will hear LGBT advocates later this month. Progress or go backwards in the advancement of human rights?
- WORLD: Please take a look at the highlights of the State of the Climate in 2015 report, as prepared by over 450 scientists from 62 countries that states all climate change trends & indicators rose to new record high values in 2015: greenhouse gases, global & sea surface temperatures, global upper ocean heat content, global sea levels, extreme water cycle & precipitation, Arctic & Antarctic temperatures, global ice & snow cover, algal bloom … we need urgent action & commitments from EVERYONE. We can’t breath, eat or drink money! You can read the detailed highlights on https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/bams
#Yazidi #ISIS #Iraq #Sinjar #genocide #rape #slavery #sexslaves #Japan #SouthKorea #nuclearthreat #communism #Pyongyang #BokoHaram #leadership #terrorism #Muslims #Islam #extremism #LGBT #homosexuality #legislature #immoral #humanrights #activism #globalwarming #recordhigh #greenhousegas #sealevels #temperatures #ice #icecaps #snow #algea #urgentaction #savetheplanet